Sunday, June 7, 2009

The West Phenomenon (part 1)

Today we find our hero on his usual walk through the National Gallery's permanent collection. But something's not right.

"Excuse me," Art Guy says to a security guard.

"Quiet down, don't you know this is an art museum?"

"I'm sorry, I was not aware - um, I had a question."

The guard raises his eyebrows.

"Well I've been here before," says our hero, "but I think that in the past, the collection was different."

The guard's eyebrows hold fast to their raised position.

"In the past, I could have sworn that there weren't copies of the Death of General Wolfe throughout the entire museum. I remember seeing all sorts of paintings by Giotto and Leonardo and Vermeer and Monet..."

The guard sighs. "It's Death of General Wolfe month; the museum is paying special tribute to the Death of General Wolfe because they have found that the Death of General Wolfe is the greatest painting in the world, and since this is an art museum, they want to honor it."

"Oh...um...wait, really?"

"Yes. That is why they made me dress in this ridiculous uniform."

"I see," Art Guy now notices that the guard is dressed as General Wolfe.

Art Guy in Jeans continues through the museum, only to find about 1,500 images of the Death of General Wolfe, all as life-sized oil paintings. He books it to the East building. Instead of Calder's giant mobile, another oil replica of the Death of General Wolfe hangs from the ceiling of the main hall. The exhibition space on the Mezzanine features nothing but copies of the oversized history painting. Here our hero finds a clue.

The wall text for the exhibition reads: "A Tribute to The Death of General Wolfe: It is well recognized that Benjamin West's The Death of General Wolfe is the best painting on the face of the earth, and since the National Gallery of Art is, after all, an art museum, it is only fitting that we hang 1,500 replicas of West's masterpiece in the museum for the duration of The Death of General Wolfe month."

-------

"Gus," Art Guy whispers into his cellphone.

"Mr. Guy! It's been so long since you've called me," says Gus.

"I can't talk for long, I've got a real mystery on my hands, I need your help, I don't have people skills."

"Ah, calm down Mr. Guy, I'm sure everything's alright, what's troubling you? Is it a girl?"

"No! Um, I'll describe it to you in person, where are you?"

"I'm in New York. You should come up here for a few days and unwind."

"Unwind in New York?"

"Sure, we can talk things out at the Met,"

"Okay, that sounds good." Having just stepped outside, Art Guy finally feels some sense of relief. Gus and he were long time buddies, and ever since a little investigation in North Carolina involving a Brutalist library, they had hit it off as co-art sleuths. A few days in New York with Gus is just what our hero is looking for.

"Oh and the Met's bringing in this great new exhibition," says Gus. "Something to do with Benjamin West. You probably know him better than I."

To be continued....

No comments: